- Dewan Negara – Updated with Order Paper and Hansard for 26-29 April!
- Update: We have now shifted to the Dewan Negara (Senate)
- Dewan Rakyat – Updated with the Order Paper and Hansard for 16, 18, 22-25, 29-30 March, and 1, 5-8, 12-15, 19-22 April (BM only)!
TRANSIT will follow the 3rd Session of the 12th Malaysian Parliament a bit more closely than other sessions because of the presence of numerous questions, motions & proposals related to public transport – and of course the tabling of the SPAD Bill which is expected to happen soon.
NOTE: If there is no entry for a particular date, then there were no questions related to public transport submitted for that date. Bills can be tabled for reading any day, while the motions continue throughout the 3rd session of Parliament.
- Order Paper for the Dewan Negara for 29 April
- Hansard for 29 April
Datuk Haji Rizuan bin Abd Hamid to ask the MINISTER OF TRANSPORT to state the way to reduce cars on the road which leads to traffic congestion if the Government still allows the use of cars that aged more than ten years. Why the Government did not adopt effective measures from developed countries like Singapore and Japan.
Puan Hajah Mumtaz binti Md. Nawi to ask the PRIME MINISTER to state :-
(a) whether the ministry plans to change the type of vehicle to be used as taxi based on tourists’ demand; and
(b) the number of taxis in Kuala Lumpur and Airport Limo which ownership have been transferred to the drivers after the completion of service terms based on agreement with the taxi company from 2000 until now.
- Order Paper for the Dewan Negara for 28 April
- Hansard for 28 April
- Order Paper for the Dewan Negara for 27 April
- Hansard for 27 April
- No public transport related items from the Order Paper for the Dewan Negara for 26 April
- Hansard for 26 April
- No Public transport-related items from the Order Paper for 22 April
- Hansard for 22 April (includes debate on SPAD and LPTC bills)
- No Public transport-related items from the Order Paper for 21 April
- Hansard for 21 April
- No Public transport-related items from the Order Paper for 20 April
- Hansard for 20 April (includes debate on SPAD and LPTC bills)
- Public transport-related items from the Order Paper for 19 April
- Hansard for 19 April
The Road Transport Amendment Bill was presented in Parliament on 19 April by the Minister of Transport.
- Public transport-related items from the Order Paper for 15 April (BM) / (ENG)
- Hansard for 15 April
Puan Hajah Fuziah binti Salleh [ Kuantan ] minta MENTERI
PENGANGKUTAN menyatakan sama ada benarkah bahawa hanya 480
daripada lebih kurang 52,000 bas ekspres yang telah mematuhi piawaian
keselamatan penumpang seperti yang ditetapkan Kerajaan pada 2007
(Berita Harian, 13 Mei 2009) dan kenapakah tiada tindakan yang diambil
oleh pihak Kementerian.
Puan Hajah Fuziah binti Salleh [ Kuantan ] to ask the MINISTER OF
TRANSPORT to state whether it is true that only 480 express buses of
the approximately 52,000 are in compliance with the passenger safety
standard as set by the Government in 2007, (Berita Harian, 13th May
2009) and the reason for no action by the ministry.
Tuan Gobind Singh Deo [ Puchong ] minta PERDANA MENTERI
menyatakan sama ada pembinaan bandar-bandar baru seperti Putrajaya
dan Cyberjaya dibuat dengan rancangan untuk sistem pengangkutan
alternatif seperti LRT ataupun ‘underground rail services’ untuk
menangani masalah kesesakan jalan raya pada masa hadapan dan
sekiranya tidak kenapa dan langkah-langkah yang akan diambil untuk
mengatasi masalah trafik di situ pada masa hadapan.
Tuan Gobind Singh Deo [ Puchong ] to ask the PRIME MINISTER to
state whether the development of new cities such as Putrajaya and
Cyberjaya includes alternative transportation system namely L.R.T or
underground rail services to tackle the road congestion in the future
and if not, the reason, and the steps to be taken to solve the traffic
problem in these areas in the future.
- No Public transport-related items from the Order Paper for 14 April
- Hansard for 14 April
- Public transport-related items from the Order Paper for 13 April
- Hansard for 13 April
Dato’ Mohd Nasir bin Ibrahim Fikri [ Kuala Nerus ] to ask the
PRIME MINISTER to state the number of express bus permits issued
for a period of five years and the number of express bus companies
facing court action following fatal accidents in the same period and the
effect of the action.
Tuan Teng Boon Soon [ Tebrau ] to ask the PRIME MINISTER to
state measures taken to improve the public transport services which is
apparent in almost every town and cities. Why the Government is still
reluctant to provide MRT service from Johor Bharu to Singapore.
- Public transport related items from the Order Paper for 12 April
- Hansard for 12 April
Datuk Wira Ahmad bin Haji Hamzah [ Jasin ] to ask the MINISTER
OF TRANSPORT to state the form of coordination between
departments in enforcing the law so that heavy vehicles will not carry
more cargo than allowed.
[TRANSIT: This question was posted here because the new SPAD will be handing cargo transport as well as public transport]
Tuan Amran bin Ab Ghani [ Tanah Merah ] to ask the PRIME
MINISTER to state :-
(a) the number of taxi permits issued nationwide to
individuals who had been driving taxis for five years; and
(b) the consideration such as the number of years of driving
taxi to be imposed before approving the application of
The following bills were presented for 1st reading:
- Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department – Suruhanjaya Pengangkutan Awam Darat Bill 2010 [Purpose: To amend the existing laws related to public transport]
- Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department – Land Public Transport Bill 2010. [Purpose: To create the new Land Public Transport Commission]
- Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department – Commercial Vehicles Licensing Board (Amendment) Bill 2010. [Purpose: To shift the responsibility for Commercial Vehicles in Peninsular Malaysia to the new Public Land Transport Commission]
- Minister of Tourism -Tourism Vehicles Licensing (Amendment) Bill 2010. [Purpose: To shift the responsibility for Commercial Vehicles in Peninsular Malaysia to the new Public Land Transport Commission]
- Minister of Transport – Railway (Amendment) Bill 2010. [Purpose: To shift the responsibility for Railways in Peninsular Malaysia to the new Public Land Transport Commission]
The government intends that all these bills be sent through 1st and 2nd reading in this session of Parliament.
8 April 2010
- Public transport related items from the Order Paper for 8 April 2010 (BM);
- Hansard for 8 April 2010.
Tuan Tan Kok Wai [ Cheras ] minta MENTERI PENGANGKUTAN
menyatakan bagaimanakah kedudukan projek penyambungan landasan
LRT yang meliputi kawasan dari Kota Damansara ke Sungai Long Cheras
dan juga kemajuan projek penyambungan LRT dari Ampang ke Kelana
Jaya dan Puchong.
7 April 2010
- No public transport related items from 7 April 2010;
- Hansard for 7 April 2010.
6 April 2010
- Public Transport related items from 6 April 2010
- Hansard for 6 April 2010
Dato’ Ismail bin Kasim [ Arau ] to ask the MINISTER OF HOME
AFFAIRS to state the stern actions taken against traffic offenders
particularly those involving the public transport following the tragic
accidents obviously caused by the carelessness of the drivers
5 April 2010
1 April 2010
Tuan Chow Kon Yeow [ Tanjong ] to ask the PRIME MINISTER to state the action to enhance Penang as a transport hub and measures taken to improve the transport system of Penang under the NKRA.
Datuk Haji Baharum Bin Mohamed [ Sekijang ] to ask the MINISTER OF FEDERAL TERRITORIES AND URBAN WELLBEING to state whether by installing the CCTV around various places in Kuala Lumpur has resolved traffic problems and curb crimes.
Tuan John A/L Fernandez [ Seremban ] to ask the PRIME
MINISTER to state whether the ministry intends to amend Section 51
(1) Commercial Vehicle Licensing Act 1987 (Act 334) which provides
for the seizure of vehicles from one month (30 days) to seven days
31 March 2010
- Public Transport related items from 31 March 2010;
- Hansard for 31 March 2010.
Dr. Tan Seng Giaw [ Kepong ] to ask the MINISTER OF FEDERAL TERRITORIES AND URBAN WELLBEING to state the number of companies for the collection of parking fees in the whole of Kuala Lumpur, the criteria for their appointment and the total parking fees collection every year. How are the rate, the time and the places for parking fees ascertained.
30 March 2010
- Public Transport related items from 30 March 2010;
- Hansard for 30 March 2010
Dato’ Seri Abdul Hadi bin Awang [ Marang ] to ask the MINISTER OF HOME AFFAIRS state the number of fatal accidents involving public transport and the measures taken to tackle the issue.
29 March 2010
- No public Transport related items from 29 March 2010;
- Hansard for 29 March 2010
25 March 2010
- Public transport related items from 25 March 2010;
- Hansard for 25 March 2010
For Question Time
Tuan Chow Kon Yeow [ Tanjong ] to ask the PRIME MINISTER to state following the NCIA (Northern Corridor Implementation Agency) action to implement water taxi system, the progress so far.
42. PR-1231-L36397 Puan Siti Zailah binti Mohd. Yusoff [ Rantau Panjang ] to ask the MINISTER OF HOME AFFAIRS to state [the] concerted effort by CVLB, RTD and the police in tackling the issue of heavy vehicles and buses driven exceeding the speed limit which causes accidents and the effectiveness of these agencies.
Dato’ Dr. Zainal Abidin bin Ahmad [ Hulu Selangor ] to ask the MINISTER OF TRANSPORT to state as the express buses accidents are getting more frequent and fatal, when the drivers’ profiling system will be implemented and if not, why.
Tuan Sim Tong Him [ Kota Melaka ] to ask the PRIME MINISTER to state :
-since January 2009,
- the number of new taxi permit issued to the people of Melaka according to race; and
- according to the study carried out by the Ministry, the estimated shortage of taxi service according to district in Melaka.
24 March 2010
- Public Transport related items from 24 March 2010;
- Hansard for 24 March 2010 (BM Only).
For Question Time:
Datuk Md.Sirat bin Abu [ Bukit Katil ] to ask the PRIME MINISTER to state following express buses involved in accidents have killed many passengers due to the carelessness of the drivers, the measures taken by the CVLB to monitor or enhance the awareness of drivers of public service vehicles. The action taken to reduce bureaucratic red tape between the police, CVLB and RTD which seem to lack coordination in their action to reduce vehicular accidents involving public transportation.
23 March 2010
- Public Transport related items from 23 March 2010;
- Hansard for 23 March 2010 (BM Only).
For Question Time:
Puan Teresa Kok Suh Sim [ Seputeh ] to ask the MINISTER OF TRANSPORT to state the price set by the Ministry for driving education course. The action taken to prevent corruption in driving examination and also driving institute which intentionally increasing the course fee.
Dr. Hiew King Cheu [ Kota Kinabalu ] to ask the MINISTER OF FEDERAL TERRITORIES AND URBAN WELLBEING to state the reason for the construction of the new Labuan Central Market and the new Bus and Taxi terminal stopped work for almost a year now, and when can this be completed.
22 March 2010
- Public transport related items from 22 March 2010;
- Hansard from 22 March 2010 (BM Only).
For Question Time
Tuan Mohd. Abdul Wahid bin Endut [ Kuala Terengganu ] to ask the MINISTER OF TRANSPORT to state whether the Government intends to extend train services to Terengganu in the future as an addition to the existing communication and transportation facilities to accelerate economic growth and enhance the transportation system in the state.
Tuan Lim Guan Eng [ Bagan ] to ask the MINISTER OF TRANSPORT to state the progress of Penang International Airport’s (PIA) RM250 million expansion project; whether it is on open tender, the contractor chosen, commencement and completion dates. Last year’s financial performance of PIA and other airports.
18 March 2010
- public transport related items from the Order Paper for 18 March 2010;
- Hansard for 18 March 2010
For Question Time:
Tuan Chong Chieng Jen [ Bandar Kuching ] to ask the PRIME MINISTER to state the amount allocated by the Federal Government for the public transport system in Kuching particularly the public bus system. State the performance [Expected? Achieved?] of the newly operated public bus system.
As far as we know the only improvements to public transport in Kuching are new buses purchased by the Kuching South City Council. The proposed City Area Transit (CAT) system has not been implemented as there is no funding allocated. For more information about the response to this question, please click here.
16 March 2010
- public transport related items from the Order Paper for 16 March
- Hansard for 16 March 2010
For Question Time
Dato’ Henry Sum Agong [ Lawas ] to ask the MINISTER OF
TRANSPORT to state whether there is a plan to provide an alternative mean of transport that is a train service from Kota Kinabalu, Sabah to Kuching, Sarawak.
We have heard that there is a long term plan to provide a rail link across Borneo, from Kota Kinabalu in Sabah to Kuching in Sarawak, passing through major towns such as Bander Seri Begawan (Brunei Darussalaam), Miri, Sandakan, and Sibu along the way.
Tuan Manogaran a/l Marimuthu [ Telok Intan ] to ask the MINISTER OF TRANSPORT to state of a recently built and almost completed road from Tanjung Malim to Teluk Intan. Whether the ministry can reinstate train services to Teluk Intan from Klang, Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur due to the increase in traffic from these places to Teluk Intan.
TRANSIT supports the call for the reinstatement of rail services between Teluk Intan and Ipoh (which was the site of the first rail line built in Malaysia) as well as improved rail links between Teluk Intan, Kuala Selangor and Klang.
We also support the KTMB bypass proposed to link Alor Gajah, Port Klang and Batu Gajah, which will divert freight trains from the Kuala Lumpur city centre.
Datuk Dr. Marcus Mojigoh [ Putatan ] to move :-
” Bahawa Dewan ini mengambil maklum sejak akhir-akhir ini
kemalangan maut yang melibatkan pengangkutan awam terutama sekali bas pelancong dan penumpang kian berleluasa. Dan mengambil maklum bahawa apa jua kempen , program serta langkah pencegahan yang dibuat atau dijalankan oleh pihak Kerajaan serta agensi Kerajaan masih juga tidak memberikan kesan positif. Dan mengambil maklum bahawa, punca utama kemalangan ini berlaku adalah kecuaian manusia yakni pemandu yang sering kali memandu terlalu laju. Dan mengambil maklum bahawa, kemalangan seperti itu dapat dielakkan dengan memasang alat-alat pencegahan seperti berikut :-
(a) loceng penggera (alarm sistem) apabila mencapai had kelajuan maksima yang dibenarkan.
(b) penanda kelajuan (speedometer) dipasang di bahagian atas,
hadapan kenderaan di mana ianya dapat dilihat secara jelas
oleh para penumpang.
(c) pemasangan kamera litar (CCTV) dalam bas.
Ketiga-tiga langkah ini akan membolehkan para penumpang menegur atau mengingatkan si pemandu apabila beliau melepasi had kelajuan yang dibenarkan dan sekali gus dapat mengelakkan kemalangan daripada berlaku. Maka dengan ini Dewan hendaklah mengambil ketetapan untuk meminta Kerajaan untuk membuat dasar ataupun polisi supaya semua kenderaan pengangkutan awam dimestikan memasang sistem keselamatan ini.”
(Minister of Transport)
The member from Putatan has moved for the above improvements with the goal of improving the safety of the express buses. TRANSIT supports the call for improvements but we believe that more effort should be made in driver training and more attention should be given to the drivers & the way they are treated and paid.
Tuan Zulkifli bin Noordin [ Kulim Bandar Baru ] to move :-
“Bahawa Dewan ini mengambil ketetapan mencadangkan kepada
Menteri Pengangkutan supaya diadakan koc-koc dan gerabak-gerabak khas di perkhidmatan Keretapi Tanah Melayu (termasuk komuter, perkhidmatan antarabandar) dan Sistem Transit Aliran Ringan (STAR dan Putra) bagi Wanita Sahaja; ini adalah untuk memberi pilihan kepada penumpang wanita membuat pilihan untuk menaiki koc dan gerabak khas untuk wanita sahaja termasuk bagi koc berkatil kerana banyak aduan diterima di mana penumpang wanita di perkhidmatan KTMB dan LRT mengadu mereka diraba, dicabul dan diganggu dengan gangguan seksual semasa menggunakan perkhidmatan ini terutama di waktu puncak. Oleh itu untuk keselesaan dan keselamatan penumpang wanita, Dewan mencadangkan kepada Kementerian
Pengangkutan supaya segera mengkaji dengan tujuan melaksanakan skim koc dan gerabak Khas Untuk Wanita Sahaja bagi perkhidmatan Keretapi Tanah Melayu (termasuk komuter, perkhidmatan antara bandar) dan Sistem Transit Aliran Ringan (STAR dan Putra).”
(Minister of Transport)
The Member for Kulim Bandar Baru has moved that the rail system in the Klang Valley introduce women-only carriages to improve the safety & comfort for female passengers.
TRANSIT recognizes that there arguments to be made for providing women-only carriages for the safety & comfort of female passengers. This is a practice in many countries including Mexico and Japan and has come as a result of two factors – marketing to a select group of passengers and creating an image of security.
However, TRANSIT does not support the concept of separate carriages for men and women as this is not appropriate.
5 replies on “Public Transport in the 3rd Session of the 12th Parliament (Update #15)”
[…] SPECIAL NOTE 1: Information about the 3rd Session of the 12th Parliament can be found here. […]
there are so many complaints and this show m’sia service industry is poor. recently i visited http://www.buyersuara.com.my and i find it an useful site for consumer. we need to share and learn to be smart consumer therefore to improve the service level in this country…
Thanks for your comments and for the link.
Regards, Moaz for TRANSIT
[…] & Feedback transitmy on Public Transport in the 3rd Se…transitmy on Taxi: Report cabbies who refus…Jen on Public Transport in the 3rd […]
[…] public transport – but we hope that you will use the information contained in our posting on Public Transport in the 3rd Session of the 12th Parliament to keep track of the Q & A and share the information with us […]